Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

takeoff
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 29 June 2005 :  17:42:31  Show Profile
Hi there!

first of all, cobian backup is a wunderfull application. It has everything you need, all the features and options. Just great.

Unfortunately, all my tasks work except one! All the settings/options are EXACTLY the same, incl. destination drive/folder. The only difference is the source folder and that contains a lot of files (cb tells me approx. 22,200 files).

When I start the task, it does start with the message 'cobian backup started' but then nothing happens (it creates a 1kb zip file that can not be opened) and status remains at 0%. Even with the verbose log options set, the log only tells something like

******** The backup for "Backup 1" has begun ********
Zipping 22200 files (if you have excluding masks, the final number could be different from this)

The same task works perfectly well with CB 6.

I thought there is (almost) no limit on number of files with zip64, if yes, how could I find out what I do wrong?

Thanks for any help!
Oliver

cobian
Forum Admin

Sweden
5823 Posts

Posted - 29 June 2005 :  18:57:00  Show Profile  Visit cobian's Homepage
Hello!

There should not be any problem. Maybe the problem is that the memory is getting fragmented with so many files.

Could you please download a special version from:

ftp://sherwood.lh.umu.se/public

and see if your problem goes away?

"In the eyes of a cat, all things belong to cats." - English Proverb
Go to Top of Page

takeoff
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 30 June 2005 :  16:59:40  Show Profile
Hi

Thanks a lot! I tested the special version yesterday evening, but it showed the same behavior as the last official version, i.e. the task with the 22000 files did not progress.

But then I dit some testing by adding sub-folder by sub-folder to see where the limit might be. I finally found out that one of the folders contains 12696 files (1015 folder, 555MB) that caused the problem. So I did a backup for only that sub-folder. Just by chance I let it run for about 15min and then it actually started the backup. I did not have the time to test the full 22000 file version, but I assume that if I wait another 15min. that would work as well (hopefully).

So, good news, it actually works, so no issue on functionality (only on performance). My mistake, sorry. The only reason why I was not sure was that CB 6 starts the same backup witin seconds...

But thanks a lot for the great software!!!
Oliver
Go to Top of Page

cobian
Forum Admin

Sweden
5823 Posts

Posted - 30 June 2005 :  19:52:19  Show Profile  Visit cobian's Homepage
Hello!

Yes, the problem is that this version must actually count the files to show the percent, that's why it is taking so long time. Try disabling the "Count files" in the option dialog box. It should speed the things up. 20000 files are a lot of files to count.

Regards

Go to Top of Page

Gingko
Starting Member

France
2 Posts

Posted - 13 July 2005 :  23:08:00  Show Profile
Hello,

I have the same problem, with two tasks out of six in my tasks set.

When these tasks begin, the program stays forever to 0%, not copying anything, but using a lot of computer resources.
It seems to never end (but I haven't wait more than 30 minutes yet).

If I want to recover, I have to interrupt it manually, but this is difficult to achieve : sometimes the program takes so much resources that it is difficult to use the user interface.
I must click on the cancel button many times (about 5 or 6), and as I'm not actually sure of the result, I end generally by stopping and starting again the service (I am under Windows XP Pro).
Even stopping the service needs a lot of time (maybe one minute ?).

I tried also to close and reopen the user interface, but the task continues in the background. Nevertheless, after reopening, the newly opened user interface do not display about the currently running task, and no longer seems to know about it.

The only things these tasks seem to have in common is the number of files (more than 50000).

Disabling the file count doesn't seem to change anything (but I am wondering if the count is really disabled, because it still displays a count of files in spite of the fact that I unchecked the option).

All of this is very reproductible.

Gingko
Go to Top of Page

cobian
Forum Admin

Sweden
5823 Posts

Posted - 14 July 2005 :  01:53:00  Show Profile  Visit cobian's Homepage
Hello!

This behaviour should only happen when the number of files is hughe (thousands of them). Does the same thing happens if you uncheck compression? If the same think happens , the problem is the counting. If not, the problem is the zipping library.

Go to Top of Page

pastoweb
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 14 July 2005 :  12:14:27  Show Profile
I have the same problem with task not starting on huge amount of files. Setting "no compression" it works right, the problem seems to be in that library...

Edited by - pastoweb on 14 July 2005 12:15:21
Go to Top of Page

Gingko
Starting Member

France
2 Posts

Posted - 15 July 2005 :  13:09:28  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by cobian

Does the same thing happens if you uncheck compression? If the same think happens , the problem is the counting. If not, the problem is the zipping library.

Apparently, the problem disappears if I uncheck compression.

But what should I do if I need to have these files compressed ?

Large amount of files need more to be compressed than small amounts ...

Gingko
Go to Top of Page

cobian
Forum Admin

Sweden
5823 Posts

Posted - 15 July 2005 :  18:35:40  Show Profile  Visit cobian's Homepage
I have contacted the makers of the library. Their support uses to be good (hey, the library was expensive), so we must wait :-)

Regards

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Cobian Backup Forum © Luis Cobian Go To Top Of Page