Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Peter_S
Starting Member

Sweden
7 Posts

Posted - 12 August 2007 :  01:19:33  Show Profile
Hi!

Great piece of software, I like it!

However, I do have some problems to make it do incremental backups properly.

I was unable to make that work when installing Cobian as a service. Installing it as a user app made a difference to one of my two systems, both WinXP and fully patched.

On the second system, where incremental backup still doesn't work - it appears to do full backups all the time - I made sure that the user has write permission to the Program files\Cobian and subdirectories & files, and to the source directories and subdirectories/files. I don't use FTP - I back up to a local directory. I have not set any "Run the task as another user"

I have checked the following: "Include subdirectories", "Create separated backups using timestaps", "Use file attributes logic", "Clear archive attribute". I have selected "Incremental", Full copies to keep=2, Make a full backup every=15.

I have selected Zip compression, 4,7GB split option, no encryption

When I selected detailed logging I noticed it did exclude some files where the Archive attribute was not set, so that works. I would conclude that it makes a "full" backup (meaning the same files size backup including almost all my files even if I have made no changes to any files between backups) because it does not reset the Archive attribute after running the backup (and there is no indication in the detailed log that it is attempting to do so) - but I can't figure out why.

I then right-clicked on the task in the main window and selected "Reset archive attributes" - it went through what appeared to be all files in the selection. After that the Archive attribute was still set on the files. The next run produced the same "full" backup

Please help!

Best Regards
Peter

cobian
Forum Admin

Sweden
5823 Posts

Posted - 16 August 2007 :  17:45:12  Show Profile  Visit cobian's Homepage
An splitted zip file can only be fully re-created and therefore no incremental backup will be posible.

--
A proud Internet Explorer user.

The FAQ: http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup_faq.htm
Go to Top of Page

tom.guenter
Starting Member

Switzerland
2 Posts

Posted - 16 August 2007 :  23:28:42  Show Profile
Yes, I have to admit it's a really nice tool.

Anyway, I do have the same problem as well. Instead of incremental backups, it is creating full backups every time. Even if I have set the "split options" to "no split".

Are there any other reasons why incremental backups wouldn't be possible?

Btw. I reused a backup definition which I have been using with cobian7 quite a while without any problems with incremental backups.

Thanks in advance!
Tom
Go to Top of Page

cobian
Forum Admin

Sweden
5823 Posts

Posted - 18 August 2007 :  01:32:28  Show Profile  Visit cobian's Homepage
The only reasons are:

1) Permissions (your service don't have permissions to modify the source)
2) You are overwriting a splitted archive
3) You are compressing AND encrypting AND overiting a backup
4) You are using the time-stamp method and creating new backups

--
A proud Internet Explorer user.

Go to Top of Page

tom.guenter
Starting Member

Switzerland
2 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2007 :  12:45:29  Show Profile
Solution,

just found out the solution to my problem:
I used to have a manually created subdirectory called (archive) in the directory where the backups are placed by cb. It seemed as if this subdirectory puzzled cb in the detection of already created backups and therefore it only created full backups instead of the defined number of incremental backups in between.

Maybe, this helps anyone else....

regards,
tom
Go to Top of Page

Glenn

USA
598 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2007 :  15:01:45  Show Profile
>>It seemed as if this subdirectory puzzled cb in the detection of already created backups and therefore it only created full backups instead of the defined number of incremental backups in between.

I think CB looks at its own History db for this determination. And I think you can clutter up the backup destination without distracting CB.

Glenn
Go to Top of Page

cobian
Forum Admin

Sweden
5823 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2007 :  15:43:42  Show Profile  Visit cobian's Homepage
Glenn is right here.. The program doesn't look at the files present in the destination at all...

--
The more cheese, the more holes. The more holes, the less cheese. Ergo: The more cheese, the less cheese!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Cobian Backup Forum © Luis Cobian Go To Top Of Page